The overall Jitsi architecture has a great level of complexity and abstract. We can simply it with first step of splitting the functions of the central jitsi-meet instance (with nginx, prosody and jicofo) and videobridges.
- Nginx: This is a web server which can also be used as a reverse proxy, load balancer, mail proxy and HTTP cache.
- Jitsi Meet: This is a is stand alone application of the Jitsi Architecture which handles secure, simple and scalable Video Conferences for the end user.
- Prosody: This component is a modern XMPP communication server.
- Jicofo: Jicofo is a server side signalling focus component used in Jitsi Meet Conferences. It is responsible for managing media sessions between each of the participants and the videobridge.
- Jitsi-Videobridge: This is a multiuser video XMPP server component.It is also a WebRTC compatible video router or SFU that lets build highly scalable video conferencing infrastructure (i.e., up to hundreds of conferences per server).
The following diagram describes how the parts of the Jitsi Architecture interact with each other: